Not really a rest day


Today was meant to be part of my two-days off from work, but apparently, I needed to work. I was asked to because one of the juniors had called in sick. And after about a couple of months of not doing Thursday close, it brought me a feeling of anticipation and thrill.
 
I know it seems weird when almost everyone at work despises it? I used to get all closes during my first and second trimester of working, but never did I whine or utter a word of complain. I had learned to be more enduring and flexible since I got here in Australia, I believe so. Being with a bunch of people with different perspectives and ideals has coherently transformed me into the person that I am now. And I mulled over that as an improvement on my character growth. I had drawn closer to embrace the new world that I chose to live in. I don’t live with so much expectation, that way I won’t bother feeling thwarted when things don’t quite go the way I expect them to be.

What we do at the store is pretty much repetitive and monotonous in general. It doesn’t entail much technical skill; as compared to my previous jobs back in the Philippines. Nonetheless, it didn’t make me less competent and productive in any way. I managed to carry out my duties and responsibilities beyond what they expect from me. 

So, what do I like about doing closes? Actually there is a myriad of reasons why I don’t seem to find it objectionable. For one, it gives me more time to sleep, without having to worry about waking up very early since 2nd shift normally starts at 10/11am on regular days and 2pm on Thursdays. Second, hubby gets to sleep more as much as he wants to. Just so you know, I haven’t gotten my driving license here yet and consequently, he has to drive me in. You had no idea how difficult it has always been for him to get complete hours of slumber. He barely has 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep due to his sinusitis. Third, it exempts me from any chances of getting sent home early on idle hours at the store, which they usually do particularly on dull weekdays. Fourth, it appears to drag time a bit more imperceptibly because it makes me feel occupied, full of activities. Fifth, it brings out my forte, my specialty – setting everything in an orderly, systematic, organized manner. I must admit I’m a bit of a perfectionist in some aspects. I always want to see things in perfect order and exactitude. It gives me a certain feeling of fulfillment and accomplishment which they providentially acknowledge.

But I haven’t been getting any close lately and somehow I miss it…

0 comments:

Post a Comment