Project: Ladybird cake

What are ladybirds and why do kids love them?  Ladybirds, also known as ladybeetles and ladybugs, are natural controllers of aphids, scale insects and mites which otherwise damage plants.  It is believed that ladybirds are lucky. Killing one is said to bring sadness and misfortune. The nursery rhyme "Ladybird, ladybird, fly away home" encourages children to catch the beetles and blow them on their way in return for a wish. It is thought this was a way of getting the children to disperse the beetles amongst the crops to destroy pests.  

Now I understand why this little creature is so loved.  I can't say I'm a fan but I do find them really cute.


The client wanted this insect to be the theme of his daughter's birthday cake.  I'm lucky enough to have this book given by my sister, with step by step illustration on how to create this magical little creature.  It was such a big help.  The instructions were so easy to follow.  I had a wonderful time making and decorating because the design itself was so interesting. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment