Hong Kong Tour Day 1

Just got back two days ago from one super exciting and memorable trip to "The Spectacular" Hong Kong.  At this very moment, I still can't get over the whole fun and experience.  Feels like it will take a while to sink in to my brain that it's all over...  That's fine, I'm still on holiday anyway.  But those three wonderful days we stayed there will surely last a lifetime in my memory. 

This trip had been planned some six months ago.  I needed that much time because I wanted to take my mom with us and to make it possible, she had to get herself a passport.  My mom is 67 years old.  With the help of my niece, she was able to complete all her requirements as first-time applicant.  In less than a month after her personal appearance at DFA, her passport was delivered right at our doorstep.  According to my mom, they had provided a "senior citzen lane" to assist applicants of her age, which I never knew existed even before at the old DFA building.

Initially, my mom didn't know that she will be going to Hong Kong with us.  All along she thought that her getting a passport was some sort of preparation for her visit to Australia in the future.  It is actually, but, for her first travel abroad, I'd like her to see Hong Kong.  When I finally blurted out where we were going, she was just as excited as I was.

Tuesday, the 17th, our flight was scheduled at 0755H.  Would you believe at 6:30AM, we were still in Katipunan?  Gosh,  I never expected traffic in Manila could be this worse.  My head was gonna explode in so much worry.  What if we miss our flight?  I can't afford to disappoint my mom, my hubby and myself.  In silence, I was praying for God to make a way.  I looked at my watch again it was almost 0700H, we were still in C5!  Part of me was starting to break down in panic but managed to keep my calm.  I know God heard my prayers.  At last, I could see TERMINAL 3, shouldn't be far away.  Exactly 0710H when the car pulled over at the departure gate of the airport.  We have arrived but wait, where do we check-in our baggage?  Asked one of the guards and he immediately pointed out the direction to us.  I was literally running.  Upon reaching the counter, the lady said they've just closed but they could still take us.  Thank you God, thank you, you are so Good!

We flew with Cebu Pacific.  Used to flying with big aircraft, it was a bit weird sitting in a rather less comfy airline seat, without the adjustable headrest and the personal entertainment system fixed to the back of each.  Not that I was expecting to see them on a small-haul aircraft.  Another thing I noticed and this really made me laugh at myself out of embarrassment, was the free refreshment.  I should have realized that they don't have that on this flight.  We could have brought our own breakfast with us, instead of paying Php50.00 for one instant cup noodles and Php30.00 for a can of soft drinks.  I ended up paying Php500.00 for all our meals. *laughs* 

After almost 2 hours flight, which seemed shorter than our travel from Caloocan to the airport, we landed at the HKIA.  I could see the glow of happiness in Amay's face.  

while at the airport waiting for the tour guide and on our way to the coach parking are

Throughout the entire travel in the coach, we couldn't help but be amazed at how impressive their infrastructure facilities are.  The image below is one example.  Frustrated though that we didn't get any good shot of it.

Tsing Ma Bridge - 8th longest span suspension bridge in the world. Two deck carrying both road and rail traffic.

Got to our hotel, Rambler Oasis, before noon time.  This was the site that greeted us - a port.  Isn't it a lovely view to see from your hotel window?  I was really disappointed.  Had I known beforehand I would have opted for another hotel.


Rambler Channel Port Area

 On the contrary, the hotel lobby wasn't too bad.


To make it more unfavorable, we weren't allowed to check-in until 2PM.  At least they let us leave our luggage while waiting for two more hours.  Not a problem, we could have lunch and by the time we finish, it will be 2.

The hotel has shops in the basement.  There were three cafes to choose from but this one had more patrons in queue that even extends out the door.  I supposed they serve better food than the other cafes.  Our only concern then was how long do we have to wait, because obviously the kitchen looked very busy.  Surprisingly, it only took about 20 minutes or so. 

Cafe de Coral , largest Chinese fast food chain in Hong Kong. 

At last, room keys were handed to us.  On our way up to the 23rd floor, I was desperately hoping our room won't be another failure.  We booked the Superior Room and so this was what it looked like.  Image on the bottom right was taken from their website, whilst the actual image is the one on the top right.  Looks totally different in the actual, doesn't it?


Before hitting the road and officially starting our adventure, we spent an hour or two of rest.  Amay instantly fell asleep while I was busy unpacking our stuff.  She was tired from all the walking and running we did all morning.

First stop:  Hong Kong Park - Located in Central, about 30 minutes away by cab from our hotel in Tsing Yi.  Paid HK$120, inclusive of HK$20 tollway fee.  Just imagine how far away we were from the city.  We actually had to cross over  the islands of Kowloon and Hong Kong to get to our destination.  It was fun though, just like we had a quick tour around the city.  First timers in Hong Kong will surely enjoy skyscrapers view.  Every building looks exceptionally tall and distinct.

Hong Kong Park is a haven of greens amidst a bustling city surrounding it.  The park features an aviary, a greenhouse, fountains, lily ponds, playgrounds and cafes.  Its location provides a very relaxing atmosphere. No entrance fee needed to get in.  Amay and I took every chance to enjoy such a beautiful place.  Felt quite sorry that hubby had to do the honor of being our official photographer.  He didn't mind doing it for us, at all.


skyscrapers at night

Second stop: The Peak Tram and The Peak - Trip to Hong Kong won't be complete without taking the most adventurous railway experience I have ever had in my entire life.  Rail ride alone makes my knees shake what more when it's ascending at an inclined angle.  For the sake of getting the best view of Hong Kong especially at night time, whatever it takes, I'll do it.

The queue seemed endless when we got there.  Looking around at the crowd, I could see mostly youngsters, although there were quite a few not-so-young ones.  Soon it was our turn to get on the tram.  We sat at the last row.  As it began to climb up the mountain, my grip was getting tighter and tighter on the handrail while trying to divert my attention on something else.  "I should be enjoying this".  I glanced at Amay and Hubby, and they were both alright looking out the window.  Slowly shifted my eyes to the right and all I could say was "Wow!".   Reaching The Peak, we were in awe witnessing the views of one of the world’s most spectacular skyline.   Hong Kong is even more beautiful from up there.

skyline view from Observation deck

So, it was a loooong day!  A day full of new and wonderful experiences.  Thank God for the opportunity to see different places.  Spending it with my love ones made the whole trip even more memorable and pleasurable.

For more of the photos, click on this link to my Facebook page.  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4268108669281.179534.1483015948&type=1&l=712bd712b2

P.S.  On our first day touring around, we've had encounters with Hong Kong nationals that weren't very nice to write about, but thought I might share with you anyway.  Being tourists, I think it's normal to be extra observant about how people act, behave and communicate with one another, so that we know how to deal or approach them.  I don't mean to be judgemental.  I just can't help but notice how some locals are uncordial and unsociable.  It doesn't bother me that they can't speak English confidently but I reckon they should be more friendly in their gestures.  Most of them don't even know how to smile at customers or even say a simple greetings of hi and hello. Went to a convenience store and McDonalds, but got the same hostile treatment from the staff.  And there was this lady guard at The Peak Tram, we wanted to ask her where to buy tickets from but she answered not even in English, raising her voice so loud, as if we could understand what she was saying.  Then pointed her hand at us and motioned us to fall in line.  She was really rude.  Just saying... I may be wrong with my observations but I have my own explanations.

0 comments:

Post a Comment