Project: Ben 10-themed birthday cake

Another cake order due weekend. Woohoo!

Marlyn messaged me on Facebook that she wanted a cake for a 5-year old boy's birthday. She didn't specify any theme, though she mentioned that the boy likes Ben 10. Somehow, that gave me an idea of what samples I need to look for and what design to make. That night I began searching the web, bit excited to get started

Just as I was all set to go, an unexpected message coming from her changed my plans. She wanted to cancel the cake order. Apparently the mother of the boy was sick. Lucky I haven't started making the base yet so it didn't really matter. Blessing in disguise it meant I could look forward to a relaxed weekend, which I desperately missed having in the last couple of weeks because I had cakes to make. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining or something. Of course I love what I do and it gives me the eagerness to learn and improve more on my skills. But when you've got a full time job that practically occupies your whole day, you have to really make extra effort.

Didn't really expect that things was gonna get better the next day when again I got a text from her, this time telling me to push through with the cake. Okay was all I could reply, at least she advised me ahead of time. I normally require two days to complete a project; one day to make the base and the next day to cover it up. She'll get it Sunday afternoon anyway, so there was no need to rush.

Omnitrix watch

Got this from Good Sammy and thought it would be perfect for my project.  I honestly have no idea whatsoever about superhero characters nowadays.  If not for my nephews who are obviously more up-to-date than I am, I'd be totally lost.





Now, here's the photo of my accomplished project.

Started off a bit late, so I finished just right before midnight.  Good thing it wasn't as complicated as my other projects in the past.  First time to use the letter press set I got from garage sale that morning; one reason why I had the cardboard covered with fondant.  The black liquid color has always disappointed me.  It turns gray when mixed with icing sugar.  That border was supposed to be black but failed to achieve my desired color, even after I've put so much black liquid color in it.  In some way, the omnitrix topper gave it a more distinct look.

0 comments:

Post a Comment