Project: Pink and girly shopping bag themed cake


I've made several cakes before but none of them could equal to all the hard work and effort that I put into this project.  This had to be the most intricate design I've ever done. 

order slip

One morning (last week), Boss called me in the office to hand me this piece of paper. Before I could even comprehend what was written on it, he threw a look at me as if he was waiting for my confirmation. It was noted on the paper, but the girl wanted a shopping bag themed cake. I've completely forgotten about all my apprehensions and gave him a confident yes right away. No idea where I got that answer from but something inside me was telling me that if I choose to believe I can do it, it will happen.





I did some research on similar projects to make sure I've got sufficient details in my head.  I've already got an idea in mind but I wanted to give it a touch of my own creativity and style.  Honestly, I was so pressured to give it my best shot.  They expect a lot from me. More than anybody else, I can't afford to disappoint myself if I mess up.  And I wouldn't want my boss to feel bad about recommending me to his friend either.

mini handbag, thongs, make up set
mini sandals

Don't they look cute?  These tiny ones got me working for hours the other night.  I've never tried working with hand-molded fondant figures before but I must say, it was very challenging.  The inspiration came from various works of renowned cake masters that I've seen on the web.  Never did it occur to me that I could soon be able to come up with such delicately crafted minis.

I've always felt thwarted by my lack of techniques and knowledge but this time, I thought I might give it a go.  That decision was probably just what I needed to make me open to opportunities of learning and improvement.

When I brought the cake to work this morning, they all gasped in awe, including my boss.  They couldn't hide their appreciation at how the whole idea of the theme was nicely put together.  The simple request for a shopping bag cake has gone far beyond their expectations, they affirmed. I was like floating in the air hearing all their good comments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment