Project: Australian flag cake



First of the two cakes ordered by the same client.

I was actually planning to make one on Australia Day, along with the Citizenship awarding ceremony for those who successfully passed the test, which includes my husband. Never really thought I'd be asked to make one sooner than I had planned. Because of that, I've got far better reason to make the project.  

Cake... I've done a few big cakes before of the same rectangular shape, so I know pretty much how to handle it. In fact, I reckon it's easier to bake cakes in bigger pans than in small ones because they don't have to be split up and poured into separately.  That way, leveling becomes a less difficult task.  The thickness is almost perfectly even from end to end.  For this cake, I used two recipes of chocolate cake to obtain the right height.

Fondant... The same problem I get everytime I need a distinct color. It just won't give me the right lightness and saturation I want to achieve. Instead of having a dark blue and a red color, I ended up getting a royal blue and bright pink. How annoying was that?  Regardless of how much amount of liquid food coloring I add into the fondant, I doesn't make any difference. Should really consider buying a good quality brand.  The question is, where?

0 comments:

Post a Comment