Authentic Indian Dinner

Anekh and I were invited for a special dinner over at my Indian co-worker's house.  A few days before that, he made me a chicken curry and special fried rice.  I felt so guilty that my scarce knowledge of the Indian cuisine had given me a misleading notion, that all curry-based Indian dishes taste unpleasant, because they are heavily spiced and I just can't stand the smell of too much onion in them.  But the minute I tasted the chicken curry he made, my first impression had faded away instantly.  Even Anekh had to agree that it was really good, not too strong and not too hot, just perfect.  The fried rice, on the other hand, although prepared quite differently from our version, was also appetizing.  I loved the cashew nuts, beanettes and sultanas, all mixed together in a reddish yellow rice.

Last night, we missed out usual dining at home to give way for the dinner invitation.  I made some pork adobo, to bring over for them to at least have a taste of Filipino dish, although I wasn't sure they will like it.  I know I can cook, but most of the time my taste buds don't seem quite cooperative.  I oftentimes get unpalatable comments.  So, to myself from 

When got to their place, the rich aroma had filled the entire room making my stomach grumble.  The conventional fire place added to their warm welcoming.  Another Filipina was there, Maria, also working at the hospital and happens to be a sister of Anekh's co-worker at Fletcher.

Santa, that's how everyone calls him at work, had been a good friend of mine since he started working at Dome kitchen.  We instantly got along well.  He can speak a few Tagalog lines such as, "Kumusta", "Magandang Umaga", "Kita nalang tayo bukas" and shockingly even the "P.I." words.  He used to work in a restaurant in United Kingdom before with a bunch of Filipinos, where he must have learned those.  Unlike my Aussie co-workers who had given me a new name, "Shezza", he, on the other hand, calls me "Miss Tapya".  Apparently, he doesn't know where the name had originated and everyone at work keeps asking why he's calling me such.  Her wife, Lisha, works at the Albany hospital as a nurse.  I believe she used to work  in UK before migrating to Australia.  They have a 3-yr old son, who is very cute and adorable.  He doesn't speak English though but he is so lovable.

The dinner was a feast of authentic Indian foods.  The appetizer they served to us really caught my attention.  They call it fried "Papadums",  thin, crisp crackers or flat bread.  Of course there was the chicken curry which has started to become my personal favorite.  Another dish they called "Beef Fried" looked similar to adobo, only tasted so much different, more on onion, spices and chili hot, I mean really hot.  Fried rice had never been so good with cashew nuts and raisins.  I might actually try making it at home.  

Dinner was even more filling with casual conversation about work, culture and life in Albany.  It felt a lot better to have made new friendships with people who have genuine hearts and intentions. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment