The Food

Supplier – Betterpan Catering Services  
Rating – 9.0

One of the many benefits we had gained in booking Betterpan was the privilege of creating our own set of menu without actually altering the cost per plate that we had initially agreed upon. Having been presented with a list of buffet menus to choose from, Hubby and I picked out the ones that we reckoned would suit our taste buds. Of course we had to consider what would satisfy our guests, since most of them are from Batangas and Bicol; places where home-cooked meals are mostly favored than catered. It was a tricky task, I would say. It was like the experience of dining in a restaurant for the first time where we order something we actually don’t know what it tastes like yet we still have to eat it. Quite unlikely to happen in an event such as ours, explained by Kelly, for they will be providing a food tasting once we’re in Manila prior the wedding.

Food Tasting – We did this on the 8th of July, a couple of weeks left before the big day. It was actually done simultaneously with the final detailing at our reception venue, Acropolis. Miss Lorna of Betterpan was there to assist us and so was our coordinator, Kelly. What they had brought at the site were only the ones we had chosen and therefore there was no way that we could have at least made any point of comparison with other selection. Miss Lorna apologetically gave explanation about having to substitute creamed dory over the steamed lapu-lapu that we had originally preferred. The reason was plain and simple, dory costs cheaper than lapu-lapu. Nonetheless, almost all of our choices, except for the baked creamy chicken that we had to change to teriyaki due to its slightly bitter after-taste, turned out all delectable. I personally loved the lengua con champignon. I just had a few comments about the leche flan, which to me looked saggy and somehow deficient in rich custard taste, if I were to compare it to my mother-in-law’s recipe.  

On The Day – We didn't get to ask as much feedback as there had been said from everyone who was present at the reception party.  But some of our immediate families had given compliments about how Betterpan did an excellent job.  Well that made me feel relieved, I must say, after all I’ve been worrying about what they had to say.  

On the whole, I would like to commend Betterpan for providing us and all our guests a sumptuous lunch buffet.  The program started a bit late and in some way, I was beginning to be anxious that some of the guests might be starving already and we didn’t want that to happen.  Salads were being served on the long table of principal sponsors and parents while we were doing the per table photo session.  As soon as we had the last table, Hubby and I hopped on the gazebo.  From where we were seated, I could see how our guests seemed to enjoy their meal.  I glanced at my mom who was just seated next to our table, scrutinized her expression so I would know if she was pleased or not with what she was eating.  And I could tell that indeed, she was.  I personally have nothing to say about the food because I barely ate the huge serving they put on my plate, and so did Hubby.  It wasn’t until we went back to the hotel and had some take away meals for dinner did we appreciate them. 
As I had expected, the chocolate fountain was a blockbuster.  The kids and even the kids-alike were absolutely delighted.  We had brought over two canisters of wafer sticks and about 5 packs of heart-shaped marshmallows as additional to the dippers, but for some reasons; none of them was placed on the tray.  I asked some of my nieces who were the first ones to try it, and they said they didn’t notice any.  I remembered endorsing them to the coordination group but I became too busy attending to other stuff after the program that I had already forgotten about it.  

I am giving them a rating of 9.0 for the food, based on the aspect of quality and quantity. We've had heard good comments from word of mouth and I guess it just shows how well they did. But from a point of view of someone who has a broad description of the word “taste”, it means a lot of difference. Having knowledge in food technology, the question of whether it is delicious or not, entails a lot of skills. We call it organoleptic or sensory evaluation. And if I were to apply all these principles, rest assured that I wouldn’t be able to give the same rating as I had given them. What I am trying to say is that different people have different preferences, especially with taste. We have our individual definition of what is tasty for us and what is not. In terms of quantity, most of our guests had confirmed that the serving was pretty generous. Some entrees were finished first like the creamed dory and chicken teriyaki, while a large quantity of carbonara had been left over and was given to us to take away. I’m not too sure though how desserts were served because we didn’t get to taste and even see them at the buffet table. I supposed there was not that many on tray.

0 comments:

Post a Comment