Project: Skateboard ramp cake

A couple of weeks ago, Kevin, our barista/manager at work asked me if I could make a cake for his son's birthday, in the theme of a skateboard ramp.  He showed me a photo of an actual ramp from his phone and it looked pretty easy to me, so I said yes.  That yes came out of my mouth right away because I knew right then and there that I could confidently come up with a good result.  The ramp itself looked doable.  The only thing I will have to creatively think about would be the details and some props to make it look realistic.

When I got home that night, I started looking up the web hopeful to find any similar cake design but to my disappointment there weren't any that got my attention.  As the days went closer and closer to the deadline, various ideas came flooding in my mind.  At this point, I needed to rely on my personal artistic skill (which have gone underutilized for years).

Here's a photo of  my accomplished project.


I know the writing doesn't look very good, that's one thing I still have to improve on.  Unfortunately, the alphabet cutter that I bought from Ebay hasn't arrived yet so I had to use a writing gel.  The mini skateboards were fun to make.  Should have used bright colors though.  

Anyway, as I was looking at it closely, couldn't help feeling a humble sense of accomplishment that I was able to come up with a design that I can really call my own.  Since I started making fondant cakes, sample photos that I search far and wide over the web play such a major role every time.  I use it as a guide, a tool, to assist me while working on a particular project that if I don't have it with me, I'd be lost.  But I always make it a point that it comes out as distinct as it can be from the original.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment